Custom Search

Friday, October 8, 2010

Am I too much of a child for you?

I like cartoons, and zoos,

and dress-up parties, too-

am I too much of a child for you?



I like pop rocks and bright socks

and Mario Brothers, too-

am I too much of a child for you?



Or do you like those things, too?

If you do, can I play with you?
 
 
 
I wrote this little poem because I often feel constrained to be more mature in my interests than I would like to be. Everything is work, work, work, responsibility, rat race, blahblahblah....I sometimes feel like I have to pretend to be an adult when I'm really just a kid inside. A funny admission from a kid who just wanted to grow up through most of her childhood. I wanted to be a grown-up so bad. Now I find I don't really like a lot of grown up things. I don't like grown-up TV shows. Those usually involve murder and drama. I don't care for grown up novels- too much sex and violence on the written page. I don't like grown up movies for the same reasons. I don't always like grown-up clothes, either, because they make me feel boring.
 
So would that bother you, to find out your therapist is really a kid at heart? Does a therapist have to be stodgy and mature to do the job? I sure hope not. If so, like Mr. Banks in Mary Poppins', I'd rather go fly a kite.
 
 
"Let's go fly a kite,
Up to the highest height!

Let's go fly a kite and send it soaring
Up through the atmosphere
Up where the air is clear

Oh, let's go fly a kite!"
(Mary Poppins)

2 comments:

  1. Carolyn,
    I like to play with you. It is so sad that people give up playing. That is why I like teaching second grade. I can play with them and it is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up playing so many years ago. However certain people bring out the playful side of me. Like your Mom and my kids. They are fun.
    I like the poem you wrote. It makes me wistful for days gone by.

    ReplyDelete