Custom Search

Friday, July 30, 2010

Becoming a Mother

I am slowly transforming into a nurturer. The other day at church I chastised one of our single men that "if you don't start taking a multivitamin, you are going to keep getting sick. You have to take care of yourself." I bought Aloe for a summer missionary who came home with a huge sunburn, and administered antiseptic and bandaids on one who fell. I wake up at 6 every morning to let out my dog and I make sure she gets adequate food, water, and shelter throughout the day. I take a nap with her a little every morning so she won't feel neglected, and I worry about her when I'm at work.  I find myself hugging children, nursing boo-boos, and saying motherly things, like "be careful," "don't run so fast," "watch out", "make good choices", etc. What I  find fascinating is that so much is instinctual; I don't have to force it.  I find myself cradling my dog (who is a good sport about this sort of thing) and cooing at her, touching her little face, and talking to her like she understands me. This is not something I am doing on purpose; it is something I am compelled to do. It is as though nature is taking over and slowly making me more and more like a mommy so when my real kids come along, I will know exactly what to do.

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed this as well. I keep having dreams where I'm pregnant. I am so happy...and then I wake up.

    ReplyDelete