Custom Search

Friday, March 18, 2011

Fluffy Fridays!

In which the author presents:
6 Things I Like Which I "Shouldn't" at my Age and 3 things I Don't Which I "Should"



For today's fluffy Friday, I have some divulgences for you. I have many secret, childlike,adolescent interests that I don't often share with folks outside my inner circle, because I am not always loving the looks of judgement of people who think they know what 27 year old professionals are supposed to be into. But today, I shall share some of my "secret" interests with you- things I expect I should be above, but am not. I also have a list of things adults are "supposed" to like which simply don't interest me. I hope you will share some of yours as well!!!!

Interests for which I should probably be too mature:

1. Cartoons. As a child, I loved sitting and eating cereal and watching Saturday Morning Cartoons. I never grew out of this. Some of the cartoons actually have excellent stories, like Avatar: The Last Airbender, which is way better than its movie and is one of the best original sagas I have seen in a long time. All the reincarnations of Ben Ten are also really good!

2. Webcomics. Yea, verily, I actually have an entire links pages I created so I can look through my favorites on the days they are updated. I have read the entirety of Sluggy Freelance (http://www.sluggy.com/)(updating daily since August of 1997), and a multitude of others I have followed from beginning to end.

3. The Royal Wedding. I am super excited about the royal wedding between William and Kate. I have only been able to admit this excitement recently, because I was surpressing it- this is only a step away from rubbish like "The Bachelor", which I avoid watching so I don't get addicted (it is very easy for me to be addicted to rubbish).

4. What the actresses wear to the Oscars. I love their pretty dresses! This year Natalie Portman, who somehow manages to look even better pregnant than normal, took the cake. I also like to follow the New York Fashion week to see the purty dresses. I feel like my little niece, dressing up her Barbie dolls.

5. Nerdy Things. Yes, I was raised with Star Trek, Star Wars, Quantum Leap, Earth 2, Marvel, DC, etc. If it has to do with science fiction or superheroes, I am all over it. I am about 2 steps away from dressing up for a Comic-Con at any given time (2 BIG steps).

6. Kitties and puppies dressed up in little outfits. I will never ever get over the cuteness of this.

Then there are things in the world which I will never get, even though I am now a "grown up":

1. Sports. Sorry, national pastime, you are not interesting to me. I know many people love you, but I just thank God I was not raised in the South, where not loving football is a stoneable offense. At least in California there is tolerance for people like me who don't tow the line.

2. Wine tastings. Nope. First of all, I'm not a drinker. I believe what the Bible says, which is (to summarize, as this is not a direct quote) that drinking is not wrong, but drunkeness is. I have never acquired any kind of taste for liquor, which, if you weren't raised with it or enamoured with it, you probably wouldn't have either, so going and tasting it and spitting it out and saying things about its personality just doesn't sound like fun. Now a homemade ice cream tasting? I would be ALL over that.

3. Most Current Adult fiction. I know this is broad, but for the most part, I've been horribly disappointed in what I am supposed to be reading (see number 5 of the previous list). Either they are trying to shock me with creepy violence or creepy sex, or trying to bore me with "meaningful" descriptions of countryside or some woman's spiritual/existential/physical awakening. If its on Oprah's list of favorites, it is probably not on mine. Same goes if it is basically CSI: SVU in written form (Sorry to all the potential authors who are reading this, I'm sure your book is wonderful!). Hence I am reading "Hound of the Baskervilles" right now and it is awesome. Maybe one day I will try to catch up with the current bestsellers, but in the meantime, I have lots of free, tried and tested books I can download on my IPAD.


What about you? Any guilty pleasures which you know your coworkers would probably laugh at, or anything about the adult world that just doesn't resonate with your child at heart?

2 comments:

  1. Carolyn, I love this!
    I share many of the same likes and dislikes... I will never be able to get into sports, and I don't get the wine tasting at all... not even b/c I don't drink, but b/c I don't understand the pull to try a sip of a bunch of wines and swirl it around like I'm fancy... I'm not fancy.

    But I had no clue about your secret enjoyments! Now I know I have someone to discuss the celebrity dresses with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Next year we can totally be all about the dresses.

    ReplyDelete