Custom Search

Friday, March 18, 2011

The Joy of Watching Others Grow







I have a rare, supreme pleasure in my work, the joy of watching others grow. I like to think I till the soil, maybe water it a little, help bring a little sunlight in, but no matter what I do, it is still the miracle of inner healing that I cannot make happen, and which I love watching.



Me: What's better this week?

Client: Oh, a lot of things

Me: Really? What?

Client: Yeah, this and this, and I realized this, and did you know that and now I know what I want to do is this and did you know he....


and so on. These are the conversations I get to be a part of, and its awesome the way people GET BETTER!!!!



When I first became a therapist, I thought of myself as the agent of change, the one that would make the difference, but the more I do this work, the more I realize that people make their own change, and I get to be along for the ride. I get to be the supportive sister, the excited mother, the invested aunt, who holds a child's hand until he or she (through no invention of mine!!!) can walk on his or her own through natural processes. Can my skills help? Of course.  But I cannot make the soul grow anymore than I can make my garden grow. Still, I can sure enjoy its blooms.


 





 

"I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow." 1st Corinthians 3:6 (NIV)



1 comment:

  1. Hi Carolyn!
    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog :D I really appreciate the comment!

    This was a beautiful post. You're right, we can never take credit for the changes in another person, but we can sit back and enjoy the blooming of a human soul finally coming into their own.

    Cheers!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete